About Empowering People
I believe success is all about empowering people. The more people you empower, the more money and power one acquires in addition to having an ever increasing impact on his/her constituency. Empowering people is in fact and in my opinion better than education and management hierarchy combined.
The Key question then becomes: How do you truly empower people?
I believe there are several ways to do it. Empowering is really like fueling them with the guns they need to shoot. Here are some ways:
1. Build a culture. Empowerment will not happen if there is a culture that doesn’t back it. A culture where challenges are thrown at people and their perspective is accepted, appreciated in handling the challenge. Form a team that helps , supports in getting team members do things. Let them realize that what they are doing is good even if they fail. Help them do things that are one step ahead and not in their job roles.
2. Be the best mentor/coach there is. Give them freedom. Let them make decisions. Help them validate those decisions. Teach them the ropes, then let them take risks and learn from their mistakes and successes without micromanaging them.
3. Help them realize their true potential – There is no greater feeling of empowerment than learning you have an ability which you excel at that can make a positive contribution to the world. Therefore, the best way to help someone empower themselves is to help them realize their potential, whether it be advising someone on a career change, teaching them the skill they will excel at or helping to pay X amount to help them continually improve on their potential.
4. Build Trust. Trust them and help them trust others. If you trust their actions and decisions, they will feel empowered.
5. Challenge and get Challenged. Challenging should not be a one sided affair. Involve them in critical pieces as and when needed. Keep asking the tough questions, listen and allow them to act. This is the best path to boost confidence.
6. Support their failures no matter what… ensuring of course they don’t repeat them again. After all, one can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time one makes it, it’s not a mistake, it’s a choice..
Share your thoughts…